2015. december 1., kedd

Realisation from a Hated Poem

There is a poem by a Hungarian poet, Lőrinc Szabó, which I have hated fervently since I have known it.
I hated it because I have always thought that it is an expression of utmost selfishness, machoism, and it is everything an enlightened, mature relationship isn't.

As if by miracle, I found a very good English translation of the verse (which is in Hungarian, of course) on the Internet made by a certain N. Ullrich Katalin.
Read the verse and, then, the realisation.

Entirely And For Nothing

It’s terrible, I do believe,
but it’s so.

If you love, your life should be
a suicide, almost.

I couldn’t care less what modern people
or the law may demand from me,
those servants outside are all
their masters inside,
and only according to laws of my own
can I have joy and delight.

You aren’t mine if you’re still yours:
you don’t yet love me.
As long as in return you want me to be yours,
a burden you might as well be.
A bargain, even if sacred, is a bargain: I do need
something different now: Entirely and for Nothing!
Everything else is but a war
of two selfish egos fought secretly,
I’m asking for more:
be part of my fate indelibly.

I’m afraid of everyone, I’m sick
and exhausted,
I’m longing for you even so, maybe,
but it’s so long since my faith abandoned me.

To smooth away all ghastly suspicion
I can merely ask you so:
Show me the joy of complete submission
and self-denial,
and that for my sake alone you can
stand up against the whole universe.

Because as long as you want a single moment
alone and just for yourself,
as long as you dare to think of your own self,
as long as you want your life to be spared,
as long as you aren’t like an object
lacking driving force, lifeless:
you aren’t any better or more
than all the others,
a stranger you might be called,
we’ll never be lovers.

Someone protected by law may though
pass for a friend,
be like an animal, beyond law,
be like it, and I’ll love you then.

Like a lamp suddenly turned off,
don’t live when it’s what I want,
don’t talk, don’t cry, don’t realize
this solid prison,
and within myself I’ll get it right
that you can forgive: I’m a tyrant.

Translation by